Make: Halloween Contest

Show off your scariest, most ghoulish, and creative Halloween project ever!

This contest is over! Want more chances to win prizes? Check out our active contests.

Winning entries

Grand Prize Winners

Turn Amazon Echo into a Ghost
Easy

Full instructions

Tired of seeing a black cylinder on your counter? Ready to make Alexa part of your holidays? Then you are ready to create the Ghost Echo

Grand Prize Winners

Kraken Tentacles and a Ship for Them to Destroy!!!
Intermediate

Full instructions

The theme: PIRATES!! ARRR!!!!!! So of course we needed a pirate ship and sea monster.

Grand Prize Winners

Magic Cauldron
Intermediate

A "Magic Cauldron" that detects spell casting and responds with dynamic lighting effects.

Costume & Make-up Winners

Rey and her Falcon
Easy

Full instructions

My 5-year-old daughter wanted to be Rey from Star Wars this Halloween. We built a Millennium Falcon to go with her costume.

Rey and her Falcon

Team Harley

Costume & Make-up Winners

Open Animatronics
Advanced

Full instructions

A modular, parametric and extensible Animatronics cad generation framework

Haunted House Winners

Giant Animatronics Lego Minfig Operation Game
Advanced

Full instructions

This project details two Arduino powered animatronic Lego Minifigs that talk and move based off that Monster Hunters line.

Other entries

Monster in a Box
Intermediate

Full instructions

A Monster in a Box Halloween prop is a box or crate that appears to be jailing a monster which is on the verge of escaping.

You Can't Creep up on This Creepy Cauldron!
Intermediate

Full instructions

This interactive witch's cauldron gets progressively creepier the closer you come!

Ouija Board Access Control
Intermediate

Full instructions

This ouija board gets a life of its own, with the planchette vibrating when it approaches certain letters - and it opens a lock!

Wheel of Misfortune
Advanced

Full instructions

The Wheel magically turns and dispenses the worst fates from all your favourite fairy tales. Complete with sound, lights and mythic automata

Soldier: 76 Light Up Mask
Advanced

Full instructions

A 3D printed Soldier: 76 mask, complete with blinking lights and a removable faceplate!

Soldier: 76 Light Up Mask

Team intentional3D

Scary Pi
Easy

Full instructions

Disney Inspired changing portraits.

Hack Halloween Skull
Easy

Full instructions

What if we can control an Arduino with Augmented Reality App? What if we can combine both worlds? That's what made me look into this.

Jet Jones
Intermediate

Building a jetpack for my 5yo who is obsessed with Royden Lepp's graphic novel Rust whose protagonist is a small cyborg boy with a jetpack.

Animatronic Horse Mask
Easy

Full instructions

This project will take your awesome Halloween costume to the next level!! Have a horse mask that can open/close its mouth!!

LED Trick-or-Treat Alarm
Intermediate

Full instructions

This will show how to make a Trick-or-Treat Alarm. Detect those kids before they get to your front door!

Full Animatronic Sorting Hat With Custom Software-22$
Advanced

Full instructions

I plan for some thing cheap and wonderful Animatronic. Then i plan it for Sorting hat with the resources around me.

Marvin The Martian
Intermediate

Full instructions

The Earth obstructs my view of Venus. I'm going to blow it up ... so I need to be dressed appropriately.

Stranger Things Lights Sign/Costume
Intermediate

Full instructions

Build a SIMPLE text-able Halloween costume/sign in a couple of hours & ~$25 worth of electronics! NO soldering, NO advanced skills, NO Barb!

Scary Halloween Snap-O-Lantern
Intermediate

Full instructions

This is my Halloween snap-o-lantern, a Halloween jack-o-lantern with a special surprise - huge pointy teeth that snap open and closed.

Candy Necklace and Belt Easy Costume!
Intermediate

Full instructions

These two pieces will put you in the mood to eat candy. Cheap and very easy to make you can trick or treat sweetly!

Avenger Assembled: Iron Man Helmet & Arc Reactor
Intermediate

Full instructions

A 3D Printed Iron Man Helmet & Arc Reactor, controlled with a embedded Arduino Uno!

micro:bit controlled Halloween Cloud
Intermediate

Full instructions

A dark scary cloud that flashes white lightening and scary rainbows, controlled by a micro:bit and neopixels

The Day My Son Wanted to be Bruenor Battlehammer!
Intermediate

Full instructions

You know how it goes: I saw a video about a guy who made something and thought "I can do that." This time though, I really did it.

Proton Pack
Intermediate

Full instructions

A backpack that would make Jillian Holtzman proud, bust ghosts with your own lighted proton pack.

Programmable Stranger Things Light Wall Costume
Intermediate

An Arduino powered Stranger Things light wall costume that can be controlled via Bluetooth serial connection to a cell phone.

Flaming Halloween Jack-o'-lanterns
Intermediate

Full instructions

Turn up the heat on your spooky Halloween decor this year by adding a blazing set of flaming jack-o'-lanterns to your front yard display!

Fun-size Uruk Hai Armor
Advanced

Work in progress

As a parent, what do you do when your child takes an oath to serve Saruman? Make them a proper set of Uruk Hai armor of course!

Arduino Pumpkin
Easy

Full instructions

Trick n’ Scream!

Pumpkin NotiFire
Advanced

Full instructions

The Pumpkin NotiFire is a delicious but questionable combination of a Glade aerosol air freshener, fire and text messages.

Fabulous Fries!
Easy

Want a super unique and easy to make costume? Well heres one for you! You can easily make this unique costume that will no one will have!

Fabulous Fries!

Team Ella Steggs

PIR sensor activated Halloween scare prank
Easy

Full instructions

A motion activated light and sound installation to scare the Trick or Treaters :)

The Kamehameha Butterfly Halloween Costume
Intermediate

Full instructions

I decided to design and build a Halloween costume of the Kamehameha butterfly, an endangered species in Hawai'i. :)

DroneSkull
Easy

Full instructions

Here's a nice skull attachment for your drone with red LED eyes.

Stranger Blinks: send messages from the Upside-Down
Easy

Full instructions

A wall of LED where you can spell out messages from the Upside-Down is the best way to impress your friends and to cheat the Demogorgon

Ghosty Table
Intermediate

Full instructions

When someone passes by, this 3d printed ghost table lights up and squeals!

Add projectSign up / Login
Community Projects Magazine Maker Faire Shop Share